Affiliate programs can be promoted in various ways. Each one operates on specific principles, giving publishers the option to choose the medium through which they will disseminate information about them. However, before attempting to place them on particular sites, it's essential to add and verify the traffic source in the internal panel. So, what exactly is a traffic source, and how do you correctly add it? If you're pondering this, be sure to check out the guide we've prepared for you.
What is a traffic source?
Simply put, a traffic source is the location where affiliate links are placed. It's from here that customers are directly directed to a specific advertiser's page. A traffic source could be a specific website or a social media platform, such as Facebook or Instagram.
Why is it necessary to fill in the traffic source?
Adding a traffic source is vital to gain access to individual campaigns. A significant portion of advertisers whose programs are available on MyLead require traffic source verification before accepting a publisher as their partner. Only after the Support accepts the traffic source can the publisher begin their journey in promoting a specific affiliate program. That's why correctly filling in information about the traffic source is so crucial. It allows for faster and easier access to a particular campaign and sometimes even enhances the chance of gaining access to the program.
Precisely filling out information about your traffic source also benefits you. As an affiliate network, knowing the traffic sources you have at your disposal allows us to better tailor the available offers to your expectations and capabilities.
How to add your traffic source on MyLead?
Now that we know what a traffic source is and why it's crucial to fill it out, how do you do it correctly to kick start your affiliate journey? To properly fill in information about your traffic source, follow the instructions below:
1. Log in to the MyLead site and go to your publisher panel.
2. From the side menu, select the "Traffic Sources" tab.
3. Choose the appropriate type of traffic source (you can read more about this in the next section).
4. Complete all the necessary details in the form.
5. Accept the form by confirming and clicking the "Add" button.
6. Wait for approval from the Support team.
Once approved by our Support, you will receive a notification in the panel that will look as follows:
You will also receive a notification message in your email inbox:
Notifications received indicate that the traffic source has been correctly added and approved. However, there may be situations where, instead of such messages, there is information about its rejection. We describe this situation in more detail in the subsequent parts of the text, in a section addressing issues related to adding a traffic source.
Types of traffic sources - which to choose?
Affiliate marketing is constantly evolving, offering a choice among many traffic sources through which publishers can promote their affiliate links. Each of them is different, and the promotion of programs takes place in a completely different way. What traffic sources are available for MyLead users? Below we have listed all available options:
1. Website - The domain owner can add it. They have the opportunity to specify detailed parameters such as gender, age, or country of their target group.
2. Blog - similar to a website, the blog owner can add it as a traffic source while defining their target audience.
3. Forum - this traffic source is reserved for forum owners and webmasters. If you're one of them, you can easily add it in the form.
4. Social Media - any user can add their social media profile as a traffic source. This can be an Instagram profile, a Facebook Fanpage, a YouTube channel, and many more.
5. Email Database - the owner of an email database, by specifying its size and possibly filling in detailed parameters, can use it as their traffic source.
6. Mobile App - the owner of the mobile app has the option to add it by providing a link to its download in one of the markets, e.g., Google Play or App Store.
7. PPC, Paid Traffic - PPC, i.e., ads in search engines and social networks billed per click, are also used to promote affiliate links. The option to add such ads, e.g., Google Ads, Facebook Ads, and others based on the PPC method, is available to their creator.
8. Network - this traffic source is specifically designed for other affiliate networks. To add them, one needs to fill in, among other things, the number of publishers and the categories in which a particular network operates.
9. Other - if you cannot match your traffic source to any of the above types, you can add it under the "Other" tab. Our Support will check whether it can be accepted.
Traffic source verification
After adding a traffic source in the panel and submitting an application, its verification is necessary. It's simply a confirmation that the specified site, fan page, or social media account belongs to you.
Self-verification of the traffic source
In many cases, you can verify the traffic source yourself. Self-verification of websites involves using a Meta Tag or an HTML comment. All you need to do is paste a short code that you will receive from us into your site's source.
When it comes to verifying profiles on social media, you can use a ready-made token for this purpose. It is a string of letters and numbers that, when pasted in the right place, for example, on your fan page, will allow you to verify the added site.
If the above verification methods do not work - you can always contact our Support, which will guide you through each step and indicate what needs to be done.
Common problems with adding traffic sources
Adding a traffic source and its verification may seem straightforward, especially if you follow the described guidelines. However, mistakes can occur. What if the traffic source is rejected by Support? First of all, you will receive a notification in the panel, which will inform you about the reason for the rejection. Every time it will be described in detail. Additionally, in the traffic source tab, the link you indicated will appear as rejected. Such notifications indicate that you need to repeat the process and add your traffic source again. However, before taking further steps, we recommend that you familiarize yourself with the reason for the rejection and analyze it thoroughly.
It's worthwhile to familiarize yourself with the most common mistakes users make so that you can avoid them and minimize the risk of rejection.
The most common problems with adding a traffic source by publishers are:
- pasting an incorrect link to the website or form;
- pasting the correct link to a website that is, however, located on a non-functioning domain;
- pasting a link to a specific YouTube video, instead of the main channel;
- selecting the wrong traffic source category;
- failure to confirm ownership of a particular website/profile/fanpage.
Another frequent issue with adding a traffic source is receiving a message that it has already been used by another user. What to do in such a situation? The best solution is to contact MyLead Support. This situation means that someone else has listed your domain, social media platform, or channel as their own traffic source, and it will be necessary to clarify the situation.
All the described problems can lead to rejection. Make sure that when filling out the form, you did not make the above mistakes to streamline the entire process.
How to correctly go through the form and reduce rejections?
What should you pay attention to when filling out the form?
- First, make sure that the URL is pasted correctly - Check to ensure that you didn't cut off any part of the link, didn't add an unnecessary space, or any extra character. All such errors will indicate that the provided link is incorrect.
- Next, make sure the website you indicated works and loads correctly. Don't paste links to websites whose domain isn't functioning or that display various errors while loading, e.g., a 404 error.
- Check if you filled in the affiliate program categories correctly - the traffic source is accepted based on the categories you filled in. It's essential to verify that the affiliate program category you selected is accurate and aligns with your goals.
- Fill in additional information, such as age, gender, or the country of origin of your target group, if you have this knowledge. It's worth going through this step, as the Support will then have more information about your traffic source, and you increase the chances of its acceptance.
- Lastly, indicate whether the content is intended for adults - if you want to promote adult content, it's essential to mark this in the form.
Adding a traffic source is essential to start promoting affiliate programs. For many, especially novice publishers, choosing the right traffic source can be challenging. First and foremost, it's worth considering which affiliate programs you want to promote and matching the promotion channel to them. Additionally, new users can always count on the assistance of our Support team and mentors. They are able to help every publisher match the right program and traffic source, according to their individual needs and preferences. It's also crucial to go through all the steps of the form in detail to minimize the risk of rejecting the traffic source. Knowing the most common issues will certainly help you avoid mistakes and ensure you're aware of how to add them correctly.